Sunday 25 May 2014

Making some noise







One of the things that gives me great joy is playing in a Samba band.  I was introduced to Samba by a friend last year, so I'm still fairly new to it and still learning the tunes, but I absolutely love it.  We play at various events all over Cornwall getting peoples toes tapping and bringing smiles to their faces.  You really can't help but start moving to the beat of the drums.  The band is made up of people of all ages, from teens to those of us who are a little older,  ok a lot older.  It's not only the music that is such fun, but they really are a lovely bunch of people.  Our weekly practice is a chance to get together and have a laugh, we all leave feeling happy.  Of course there is a serious side to it, you have to be committed to attending practice and learning the tunes, but it is addictive, once you start you don't want to stop.  I have no previous musical experience (well I did play the recorder at school many moons ago) but with practice I learned to play and when ready was allowed out in public.

We have had some unforgettable gigs, including playing on a double decker bus, and at the side of a harbour with waves splashing over us.  Here's a little clip of the band playing at the Porthleven festival a few years ago.







If you like the sound of it, see if there is a band near you and have a go.


Chickpea xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wow ! You play in a Samba band ! I did Afro Brazilian with Sarah Hyams in Falmouth a few years back and we danced all through Truro for the Festival of Lights with the DakaDoom Band ! LOL ! Great fun ! Love it ! (sorry I see that you posted this quite a long time ago )

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and will try to reply to all you lovely people xx Spam will be deleted so don't even bother!